‘Just remember, these people pay your wages’
Those words are neither helpful nor entirely accurate. Yes okay if the customer base wasn’t there, there wouldn’t be a job, however you wouldn’t have been given that job in the first place because it wouldn’t have existed… I was going somewhere with this but I lost it.
My point is that saying that to someone is dumb. It’s like telling someone to calm down when they are clearly already irate!
So here’s a few tricks of the trade to survive a customer facing role.
- To get you through the day; plotting elaborate and meticulous ways to murder people is always fun.
- Pretend that you’re a spy. This job is part of your undercover story. You’re on a mission to save the world, get the guy/girl and serve coffee to these douche bags.
- Be super nice. Over the top sickly sweet. The bigger the douche the nicer you should be!
- Try to slip random words in to the conversation. Start a points system, the younger the customer the higher the score; a child is more likely to point out that you randomly said ‘seahorse’.
- Pick a number at random. That number customer gets to live.
You’re welcome 😉